The PeeWee arrives!

Et voila…

Uh.. No.. That’s not it….

It was a leetle more like this:
Our new PeeWee is white, though. And it came with two of those little bags of litter, and two nice toys, two kibble samples and a bag of treat. Mom also ordered two big bags of litter, so all in all it must have been quite similar to having to carry the Mango’s PeeWee home from the post office (or possibly the Mango himself).


We were a bit surprised to find that the pee wee pellets were actually larger than the woodpellets we got that were intended for pellet ovens. But the kitties don’t seem to mind. Hopefully we’ll get the cheaper ones intended for firewood next time, anyways. (Not that we’ll need more for months!)

Bajas
(Who wouldn’t mind having the Mango or even PeeWee over for a visit.)

Suddenly Monday

Hello guys!

Suddenly it’s Monday again. It’s just over 7am and Mom and I have already been out on our walkie.

It was quite dark when we started out. Well.. Not dark, but not sunny either. It was also rather muddy some places. It rained like crazy yesterday. BOL!


The sun came over the hill as we were walking, though! We also saw some pretty flowers. Mom is rather impressed with the macro function on the phone. These are taken up CLOSE with the flowers moving in the morning breeze and Mom’s unsteady hand. BOL!


Morning kisses,
Bajas

Peeing on the PeeWee..

…or at least sort of! Mom’s ordered a PeeWee cat toilet, but while at the field office we attempted to make one of our own.

First – you need two roomy plastic boxes that stack so that there’s a gap between the floor of the bottom one and the top one – like here:

Then you drill a whole load of holes in the bottom of one of them – the one who will become the top one. This will allow for the pee to pour through and that the pee soaked wooden pellets, who then dissolve into wood shavings, can fall through. The theory is that the kitties will dig in the box and help transport the wood shavings through, but a firm shake may be necessary. Certain kitties prefer to “dig” at the walls and roofs and such of a litter box…

Then stack the two boxes, add a few of the wooden pellets in the bottom one(to soak up any unaccompanied pee that arrives in the beginning) and a nice thick layer in the top one. There are wooden pellets intended for use with guinea pigs and such, but we use the ones supposed to be used as firewood in special pellet ovens. They are MUCH cheaper, and work just as well.

After a little use and a good shake of the box, this is what we find in the bottom one:
Other than a faint smell of pine it doesn’t smell at all, actually. (Except right after #2s)

Virus and Hyssing give it two paws up!

And since any box with pellets is a toilet (according to Virus……) we went and got a lid for the storage box. LOL! A 30 liter bag of pellets will last two cats about one and a half month or so, so it turns out really cheap. And no sand all over the floors. (I’ve been happily using crystal cat litter until this very humid summer when they started dissolving after half the time, and it just turned out too expensive.)

A little cooking…

Okay – first a teeny warning, this post may not be for the squeamish. I had a great evening yesterday, my friend came over to help me study and a lot of stuff finally sunk in. (You’ve gotta love great friends!) Then I had a lousy night with very little sleep before waking feeling sick and tired.

Had to go shopping for brunch and found all sorts of weird meatables in the meat section. I was very excited to see signs that the lamb season is coming (the boys love lambs heart) and also things like pig tongues, pig hearts, pig ears and tails (raw, not the ordinary dog treat kind)… So I decided to make up a balanced batch of raw food. I’ve never actually done that before, I’ve generally kept the different meats separated and mixed and matched along the way.

For a proper pray model raw diet you want 80% muscle meat (including heart), 10% organ (of which no more than 5% liver) and 10% edible bones (you can add a pinch of ground egg shell or use ground bones in the beginning if they’re unwilling to crunch bones).

For my muscle meat I used the hearts and tongues I found at the store today, along with meats I already had: ground lamb, ground lean beef, reindeer tongue, pork, turkey, yellow fin tuna, quail and trout. It’s not necessary to use so many kinds of meats, I just happened to have it. I made two batches, so each batch had fewer ingredients.

For organ meats I had lamb liver and kidneys.
Kidneys and heart went into the bowl first:

Then some pork tongue… Hee hee…

I soon had to switch and use my large stew pot, as the bowl turned out too small (I made up about 7kgs of food today).
My edible bones came from chicken, quail, trout and frog legs(!). Once again – stuff that I already had. One bone source would have been fine.

Then I stirred it all to mix it and stuck it in boxes – one of these contains food for a day for Bajas, Virus and Hyssing. I now have 14 of them in the freezer, and a little for today and tomorrow in the fridge. Very convenient!

Ane